Altogether, your hospital has expanded by more than 75,000 square feet, and its leaders have designated virtually every foot to clinical service for patients and the professional staff who serve them.
We hope you will find that the expansions and enhancements offer even more outstanding healthcare choices, right in your neighborhood. The new, state-of-the-art equipment, procedure rooms, and patient areas surpass those of any facility in the Northwest NC region.
And while all of us are proud of the new sophisticated technology in our Emergency Department, ICU, Regional Heart and Lung Center and spacious, all-private patient rooms, every member of the Hugh Chatham medical family remains committed to providing you with the highest standards of compassionate, quality health care.
Thank you for the opportunity to continue serving you and your family.
Mark Heiner, M.D.
Chief of Medical Staff and
Emergency Department Medical Director
Hugh Chatham’s new Emergency Department features 24 spacious
rooms, including specially equipped trauma rooms, cardiac rooms, and
general care rooms to accommodate emergency services.
Patients, Visitors, and Medical Professionals Will Notice These Features:
- A spacious, new ambulance bay that allows EMT professionals from two vehicles to simultaneously deliver patients to the Emergency Department.
- A comfortable and efficient walk-in entrance with an enlarged waiting area, reception desk, children’s nook, and a private Triage area for assessing patient conditions.
- A convenient and private passageway to the HCMH Radiology Department.
- Four trauma bays with state-of-the-art monitors, “crash carts,” oxygen and other gas connections and multiple emergency electrical outlets.
- Four specially designed cardiac rooms with the latest EKG monitors and other equipment to diagnose quickly conditions up to a full cardiac arrest.
- The capability to quickly convert the entire Emergency Department.
This 8-bed Intensive Care Unit features bright and spacious rooms, state-of-the-art equipment and specially trained personnel to care for those patients who are critically ill.
The Second-floor ICU Offers These Clinical Benefits:
All general patient rooms from the second and third floors will move to the new Patient Tower. New beautifully decorated and spacious private patient rooms provide a healing environment for patients and are easily accessible by elevator to the parking garage.
- All eight ICU rooms are private. Plans include adding four additional rooms as the need arises.
- The ICU has two isolation rooms.
- The nursing staff has a direct elevator from the staff entrance to the ICU.
- The Nurses’ Station gives nurses both sophisticated monitors to track patients’ status, as well as direct access to all eight rooms.
- The Family Waiting Area adjacent to the ICU is comfortable and convenient, and enables families to stay overnight.
- Two Family Conference Rooms are available for medical professionals to meet privately with families.
Additional Features Include:
Hugh Chatham has combined its heart and lung services into one
department. All diagnostic studies and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
services will be offered in this easy-to-access department on the first
floor near the new Emergency Department.
- Private bathrooms designed for safety and accessibility.
- Wireless internet access in all rooms.
- Built-in day beds for visitors staying overnight.
- Ample storage space for both patients and their overnight visitors.
- Spacious nursing stations with adjacent pharmacy, medication and supply rooms.
- A special inpatient Rehabilitation Room with a panoramic view of the outdoors. The area offers Occupational, Physical and Speech Therapy.
- Conference rooms available for education and clinical conferences.
Conveniences Built into this Area Include:
Generations of dedicated philanthropists and donors have enabled
Hugh Chatham Memorial
- A comfortable, well-designed heart and lung center waiting area.
- A state-of-the-art diagnostic and cardiac rehab area.
- A cardiac testing room.
- A cardiopulmonary educational room to teach CPR and other important techniques.
- The latest equipment for stress testing, EKG, and echocardiograms.
- A cardiac nuclear medicine room.
Hospital to become Our Region’s Choice
for Technology and Care.
Your donations will help assure the
continuing growth and success of the
For more information, please contact the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital Foundation